Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Save Your Breath




Ever so chivalrous, Adam opens the passenger door of his truck. He bows and gestures to the inside. He says, "My lady, your chariot awaits."

Rolling my eyes, I scoot into the passenger seat. This guy is a piece of work.

Climbing into the driver's seat, he snaps his seat belt in place, puts the key in the ignition and we are off.

As he nears the exit of the parking lot, Adam inclines his head towards me. He asks, "So, where to?"

"The Cozy Nook," I answer.

Raising an eyebrow, he says, "I don't think they are open this early in the morning."

I say, "Dad owns the bookstore. We live in the apartment above."

Adam responds, "So you guys are the new owners of that old store."

"That's us," I quip.

Grinning, he says, "Welcome to Mountain Springs."

"Thanks."

"And may I ask what brings you to our fine city?" Adam asks.

Turning to look out the window, I quietly say, "We wanted a change of pace." I can feel my eyes begin to tear up. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I force those painful thoughts away.

Adam picks up on my non-verbal cues and decides to change the subject. He questions, "Are you enrolled in one of the colleges around here?"

I answer, "I go to the U." The U being short for our state university.

Surprise registers across his face. "Really? Me too." He says.

Smirking, I say, "I know. We are in the same geography class." Secretly I am taking pleasure in having one up on him. Ha! Mr. Boy-Man-Wonder!

He looks momentarily stunned. Then he grins. Smiling at me before looking back at the road, he says, "Well, I should have my head examined because I can't believe I haven't noticed you before."

Raising an eyebrow at him, I cock my head to the side. "Seriously?" I question.

He looks dead serious when he responds, "Seriously."

Shaking my head, I clarify, "No. I mean are you seriously trying to use that line. Do girls really fall for this stuff?"

He laughs good-naturedly and answers, "Oh yes. Lots of girls would say I am extremely charming."

"More like extremely irritating," I countered, crossing my arms over my chest.

He gives me the look. 

You know. 

The smolder. 

An honest to God "smolder". And I'll be, if a million little butterflies didn't take flight and flutter around in my stomach.

He questions, "What is your major?"

I answer, "I'm thinking about Physics or Psychology. I like them both."

Adam looks impressed. He states, "You like Physics. I didn't know people voluntarily liked Physics. This has got to be a first."

Smiling despite myself, I reply, "I was in a couple of advanced Physics classes in high school and I really liked them."

He quips, "I guess that means you aced those courses."

I say, "Yes, it does."

Whistling under his breath, "Brains and beauty. Who knew?", he teases.

Smirking, I retort, "Save your breath, pretty boy. That won't work on me."

He says, "You said 'pretty boy' which means you think I am hot." His smile grows broader. "Admit it."

Rolling my eyes again, I clarify, "I'll admit you may have a screw lose."

He insists, "You are totally into me."

I retort, "I am not interested in the slightest." Liar.


Risking a glance at me, Adam insists, "We'll see about that, snow bunny. We shall see." His eyes twinkle with mischief and smiles knowingly as if he already knows the outcome.


Here is another entry with Nat and Adam. If you missed the first two parts, you can find them here and here.
I think I'm liking the interplay between these two characters. Let's see where it goes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!