Monday, July 1, 2013

Distraction






Taking his thumb, he rubs a small circle on my cheek. He says, “I’m going to kiss you now.”

He leans down and gently presses his lips to mine. Jake pulls back to look me in the eyes. I see determination and want in those eyes.

Leaning down, Jake nuzzles my nose with his and kisses me again. This is no whisper of a kiss. He devours my lips hungrily and nips at my bottom lip. This kiss makes my toes curl and my legs wobbly. 

Wow. This guy knows how to kiss. I don’t think I’ve ever been kissed like this before.

Dropping the paint roller in my hand, I reach up and grab the sides of his waistband, pulling him closer. I don’t give a second thought to the paint splattering on my shoe.

Jake gives a small chuckle as if amused my reaction. He slides both hands down my arms, grabbing my waistband, mimicking me.

“Maddie?” a voice says.

I know that voice. I would know that voice anywhere. My heart drops to my stomach.

Turning my head, I see Sam standing there. My Sam. My sweet, good-hearted, by-the-book Sam. I feel as if a small knife is stabbing my heart. He looks at me wide-eyed in disbelief. In his eyes, I see hurt, pain and anger.

“Maddie?” he asks again.

I try to think of what to say. “Sam, I can explain.” I am such a jerk. Thinking with my hormones instead of my head!

Sam briefly looks from me to Jake, then back to me again.

Crossing his arms, he demands, “Okay, Maddie. Explain.”

Swallowing nervously, I begin, “We were just painting the barn and –”

“And it just happened,” Jake finished.

Sam balls his fists at his side and his face flashes in anger. He says, “I wasn’t talking to you, Whitfield.”

Placing my hand on Jake’s chest, I shake my head. “Let me, Jake.”

Sam notices my hand on Jake’s chest. I immediately let my hand drop.

Laughing bitterly, Sam shakes his head. “Seriously, Maddie? Jake?” He runs a hand through his hair. Spreading his arms wide, he accuses, “I thought you were smarter than that.”

Ouch. “Sam,” I concede. I sneak a quick glance at Jake and can tell he is getting angry. I look back to Sam.
 
“Don’t talk to her like that,” Jake cautions.

Ignoring Jake, Sam looks at me, pleading with his eyes. He insists, “Maddie, this is Jake. Remember what he was like in high school? All those girls?”

My stomach rolls over. All those girls. Thanks for the reminder, Sam. Suddenly, I feel very stupid. Does Jake always use this approach? Am I just another girl?

Jake answers Sam but all the while, looks at me. “Those other girls didn’t mean anything. They were a distraction.”

Sam declares, “And Maddie’s not another distraction?”

Jake says, “It’s not like that.”

Swallowing nervously, I wonder if I could be mistaken. If what Jake is telling me is true. Looking at his face, I see his face open in honesty. I know he does care about me.

Sam stalks forward, dangerously close to Jake. “Oh really? Then what is it ‘like’, Whitfield?”

Jake gets right in Sam’s face, points at his chest. “Sam, you are a good guy. And I like you. I really do. But you are saying some things right now that are making me very, very angry.”

Sam’s face reddens in anger. “Oh, you’re angry? Really?! Because I just caught my friend making out with my girlfriend. I’m not angry, Whitfield. I’m pissed!”

Oh crap! They are going to fight! Over me! Cheese and biscuits! I have to try and diffuse the situation.

Stepping between the two, I force both of them back a step and place a hand on each of their chests.

I look at Jake on one side of me who’s been my crush since seventh grade. I look at Sam on the other side of me who’s been my best friend since third grade who I am now dating. I feel as if I am in a tug-of-war and I’m the rope.

Taking a deep breath, I mutter, “If you want to me angry with someone, be angry with me.”

Now things are getting interesting! Let's throw a little

Sam into the mix with Jake and Maddie.

I'm working on creating a page with links to all of the 

blog posts about Jake and Maddie. This should make 

things easier to locate.

New to this rodeo?! Check out the first entry with 

Jake and Maddie here

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and commenting!