Thursday, December 12, 2013

Maybe It's Just Me



Is it just me?

Seriously.

I can take it.

Just tell me.

Is it just me who thinks that putting up Christmas decorations the day after Halloween is a bit much?

Or that people are putting up their holiday decorations at the beginning of November?

And let's not forget Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving is where you can spend time with your family, enjoy tons of great food and take time to count your blessings. Thanksgiving deserves some props too!! 

Do we really need to shop on Thanksgiving? A day when you take a moment to reflect on all of the things you are thankful for. (I don't know. Maybe you are really thankful for that extra 30% off at Macy's.)

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hole. (That is my superpower, you know.)

Am I the only one who thinks this is a touch too much?

*Blank stare.*

Sure. 

I get it. I mean, at least I think I do.

Who doesn't like Christmas?! Who doesn't wish Christmas was everyday?! Why not get started being all Christmasy as soon as you can?! (Okay, I totally just made up the word Christmasy. But it gets my point across, no?)

But here's the thing.

Anyone ever seen the movie Groundhog Day? The movie where Bill Murray is stuck on Groundhog Day and has to relive the same day over and over and over and over. At first it is fun, then it gets to be monotonous and boring.

See where I am going with this?

The excitement that we can put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving. The opening of the first window of the advent calendar (which coincidentally is only 25 days). Knowing that the craziness of Black Friday signals the start of the holiday season.

The reason Christmas is special is because it comes once a year. It is something we anticipate all year long. It is a day that we reflect back on and smile at the memories of Christmases past. The excitement and wonder as the holiday season draws near.

It's like your birthday.

Or your anniversary.

If it happens everyday, it wouldn't be special.

Sure, we wish it could be everyday but it only comes once a year.

And that makes it all the more special.

So, on this Christmas Day (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or Festivus), take a moment to reflect on the holidays past and enjoy the day. 

Count your blessings.

Simply just be in the moment.

That's my plan.

What's yours?

6 comments:

  1. Christas day will never be the same for me ever again. I had my son on Christmas day and rather than it being a decorated holiday, it will always be the day I remember as meeting the other love of my life. So yes indeed I will dwell on this day every year and every year to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet?! Your son is the best gift you could ever get. :)
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. It’s not just you, I was going insane seeing all the commercials they were showing with the sales for Christmas and it wasn’t even November. I always feel bad for Thanksgiving; I call it the “forgotten holiday” even though I absolutely love it. There’s so much great food and it’s another time of the year to spend with your family. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but it felt like it was being shoved in my face a lot this year. I plan on enjoying the time with my family on Christmas and forgetting about the commercialized side of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy, right?! It's like we started being bombarded by Christmas ads around Halloween.
      I'm glad it's not just me!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the reminder. I think it's one we could all use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! The marketing machine is in full gear these days and I'm not buying it. I went out of town for Thanksgiving so I wouldn't even be tempted to do any Black Friday shopping. It almost makes me faintly sick. I'm with you - I'm opting out of the whole lollapalooza!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!