Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Mysteries Of The Universe Solved!

Okay.

I lied.

I do not really solve the mysteries of the universe. I just wanted to draw you in.

The old bait and switch technique - which is really quite genius of whoever came up with this idea.

*Crickets.*

So anyway...I have been a stay-at-home mom since my kids were born. (Most of you know this. But to the new one person who accidentally stumbled onto this blog, this is for you. You're welcome.)

Now that both boys are fully settled in school, I thought about starting back to work part-time.

I remember mentioning it to my mom during our phone conversation last summer.

Me: I think I might go back to work part-time while the kids are in school.

Mom: That's a great idea!

Me: You know what would be fun? Working at a women's clothing store!

Mom: No.

Me: Why not? You would get a HUGE discount. You could shop while working!

Mom: You would have to work weekends.

Me: Right. Weekends are sacred days of lounging in PJ's and kid cuddles. Excellent point.

Mom: I have the perfect job for you. One you would be great at - substitute teaching!

Me: ...

Mom: You have your Master's degree in Education.

Me: It's Higher Education, mom. College kids.

Mom: Well, you are great with your kids. You are so patient. You have the patience of Job.

Me: Um, have you been around me and my children?

Mom: They'll love you. You'll be great.

Me: I'm not sure...

Obviously, some of my finer parenting skills are letting them have cereal for dinner, playing video games until their eyes bleed and pretending not to hear them yell for me when I'm in the bathroom. (Actually, none of these things are true. Except the last part. Can't a person simply empty their bladder in silence?!) 

These skills will clearly be super helpful when it comes to substitute teaching.

So after casually bring it up in every conversation over the next several months, my mom convinced me to apply.

The principal contacted me about a long term sub position that would last 8 weeks filling in for a special education paraeducator.

I remember driving to school that day wondering what in the world I had gotten myself into.

Fortunately for me, the first day was shadowing the person who I was going to be subbing for. I got to learn her schedule and meet all of the kids. I was introduced to all of the teachers and staff. There was a lot to learn and a lot going on. The kids were so cute and each one had a different plan that worked for them. It was super busy and a big responsibility.

And I LOVED it.

When my 8 weeks started to come to a close, I was so sad I had to leave everyone at the school.  I got lots of hugs and a lot of we'll miss yous.

I know. I know.

You're probably thinking, "Why is Michelle being so dramatic? She can still sub anytime she wants."

Touche.

But it's not the same.

*Sniff.*

So I enjoyed my weekend, then come Sunday evening I got a text to sub on Monday.

They love me.

They really love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!