Friday, October 26, 2012

Princess For A Day


One day last week, I think it was Tuesday, I was having a hard day.  

The kids were playing the "let's see who can send Mommy over the little edge she is hovering on" game.  

Both boys were sick. I was sick.

The boys were uber whiny.  I was whiny.

The boys were crabby.  I was crabby.

Well...you get the idea.

Anyway, it was late afternoon and I was fighting my 3' to 5' o clock slump. (Anyone else feel this way?  This time of day is when you would like to just 'stop drop and sleep'. You think to yourself, "I've never in my life been this tired! Should I risk staying up late by drinking some coffee now? What are the chances the kids would let me take a quick cat nap? There is no way I can make it until bedtime.")

J: *Grabs my hand. Pulls me towards the stairs.*  Come on, Mama! I want to show you something.

Me: *Sighing. Scooping up Baby L.* Okay, what do you want to show me?

Once we get to the top of the stairs, J tugs on my arm, pulling me towards the end of the hallway.

We stop at the end of the hallway. In front of us hangs our wedding picture.

J: *Pointing.* Look Mama.

Me: *Putting Baby L down on the floor.* Yes, J. That's Mommy and Daddy's wedding picture.  That is a picture of when we got married.

J: Where was I?

Me: You were not born yet. You were still with Jesus in Heaven.

J: Before I was in your belly and I was born?

Me: *Rubbing his head.* That's right J.

J: *Points again.* Look at your pretty dress, Mama.  You are a princess.

Me: *Teary eyed. Hugging J.* Oh, thank you, sweetie.  That is so nice of you to say Mommy looks like a princess.  I felt like a princess that day.

J: You look beautisul.

Me: *Sniff.* That is so sweet.  Thank you, my sweet boy.

J runs off in search of his brother.  He finds him in his room.  Both boys commence jumping on J's bed.  (J's mattress is currently on the ground so I don't worry about the boys jumping.)

As I lean against the door frame, watching my two little guys jump, giggle and play, I realize that what started out as a rough day, turned into a really great one.  All because of J's sweet, innocent, loving comments about me in my wedding dress.

I was princess for a day.  And that felt wonderful.  Our wedding day was absolutely perfect.

But standing here.  Looking at my kids. Watching them play. Hearing them laugh. Feeling so much love for them. 

I'm thinking that being a mom feels pretty great too.

2 comments:

  1. You DO look like a princess!!! SO glad you had such a perfect wedding day...and so glad to see how your day turned around on this day. Precious boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Chris! That is nice of you to say. And yes, he is precious (most of the time). :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting!